So you have begun "un-decorating" your apartment in West Columbia, SC and it is time to get rid of your Christmas Tree. Did you know your tree can be even greener even after it's dead.
Keep the Midlands Beautiful has organized recycling sites for Christmas trees this year. Trees will be ground for free and mulch from the recycled trees will then be available for free in mid-January.
Here is a list of approved Christmas tree drop-off locations. Trees can be dropped off until January 13:
- City of Columbia Compost Facility -121 Humane Lane, Columbia, SC. (Off Shop Road across from the SPCA). Open M-F, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM.
- Clemson Institute for Economic & Community Development - 900 Clemson Road Columbia, SC
Before loading the tree back on top of the car, make sure to follow a few simple rules to get the tree recycle-ready.
- Remove all lights, tinsel and ornaments.
- Remove tree from stand.
- Drop off trees only. No wreaths, garland or other greenery.
- Remove any strings, bags, wires or ties from the tree.
Once all the trees are collected, ASPLUNDH will grind them and gather the mulch. Mulch will be available for free from 9 a.m. until it is gone on Saturday Jan. 14 at:
- Clemson Institute for Economic & Community Development (900 Clemson Road across from Village at Sandhills)
- Seven Oaks Park (200 Leisure Lane; near the intersection of St. Andrews & Piney Grove roads)