If you live in an apartment in West Columbia, SC
you may be headed to a 4th of July celebration where there will be fireworks. Fireworks are legal in this state and fireworks are a
historic and fun part of a Fourth of July celebrations.
But please be careful when using fireworks. Too often the fun is marred by serious burns and other injuries caused by improper use of fireworks and illegal explosive devices. To keep yourfestivities safe, the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs offers these fireworks safety tips:
- Read and follow all instructions and warnings on fireworks labels
- When shooting fireworks, keep a bucket of water and hose nearby in case of an accident.
- Never allow children to play with or light fireworks.
- Make sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks, and never point or throw fireworks at people, buildings, or other structures.
- Only light fireworks on smooth, flat surfaces away from houses, dry leaves, and other flammable materials.
- If your fireworks fizzle and don’t go off, consider them duds and douse them with water. Never try to relight a dud!
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is at a public display put on by trained professionals.
For more information you can view the State Fireworks Safety Brochure by calling 1.800.922.1594.