As summer winds down, kids in your apartments in West Columbia, SC and across the state are heading back to school. So Abberly Village would like to remind you to be extra careful on the road and offer some simple tips for parents and motorists to help keep children safe.
Kids can’t always be counted on to be careful when crossing the street or running to catch the bus. They may forget basic safety rules in their excitement to catch up with old friends or start classes in a new school.
That’s why motorists need to be extra careful, especially while driving in residential areas and school zones, It’s important to slow down when approaching kids walking or riding their bikes, because they can be unpredictable and dart in front of you at any time.
Motorists also need to use extra caution, especially before and after school. Here are five quick reminders:
- Watch for children at intersections and in crosswalks, especially those with no crossing guards.
- Take extra care when entering or exiting driveways.
- Beware of children darting out from between parked cars.
- Be careful when following or approaching a school bus, especially near bus stops.
- Don’t pass a school bus on the right and stop for any school bus that is stopped with its lights flashing while children are entering or exiting the bus.
Another risk comes into play with older students who will drive themselves to school for the first time this year. You are sharing the roads and parking lots with new drivers. And new drivers, remember to be especially cautious when driving to and from school.