Apartment hunting in West Columbia, SC? Here are six tips to finding the best place:
1) Start searching early. The earlier you start, the wider a choice you’ll have. If you leave it too late, the best value accommodation options could be booked up.
2) Never put money down, either for a deposit or rent, without meeting the landlord or agency first. There are online scams and frauds you need to be vigilant of. Meeting people in person and seeing the inside of the property before you hand over any money reduces the risk of fraud. Also try to pay electronically by bank transfers as cash isn’t traceable. If you have to pay in cash, make sure you get a receipt.
3) Make sure you fill out an inventory list and take pictures of any damages before you move in, so that anything that was already broken, chipped, peeled or damaged doesn’t get taken out of your deposit as a penalty.
4) Make sure the contract you sign is for the period you intend to rent. Bear in mind if you are planning on going away or moving back home for the summer you should only sign a contract, or agree with your landlord (in writing) that your stay is as long as the college term, or you could be charged for the whole year’s rent or risk losing your deposit.
5) Draw up a cleaning rota where every housemate has a different job every week, so that it keeps the place tidy and everyone does an equal share of the housework.
6) If possible, try to live with people who have similar lifestyles to you, or who will be respectful of quieter lifestyles. If you’re living with someone loud, messy or who has bad etiquette, it can cause tension.