- Thursday, June 23, 2011
It sure has been hot here in and around West Columbia, SC
. With temperatures approaching and in some cases surpassing 100 degrees, in many places we have broken heat records
that were set in 1933. There may be a short break, but the heat should rise up again in time for the weekend. There are some cooling centers around Columbia County
. With no end in sight, the staff at Abberly Village
would like to provide you with some tips from the American Red Cross on how to beat the heat:
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol. Eat small meals and eat more often.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
- Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day. Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Take frequent breaks if you must work outdoors, and use a buddy system when working in excessive heat.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors who spend a lot of time outdoors, who spend much of their time alone or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles. Check on your animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat.